St. Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum, Florida

We were in St Augustine for the day so we decided to visit the St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum. This interactive and entirely pirate themed museum offers an exciting and educational experience.

You get to walk through a pirate street and board a pirate ship. You can fire real cannons, experience the sounds of the ship in darkened rooms, discover about pirates in interactive computerised books and hunt for treasure!

The kids loved using their treasure maps to find the Discovery Drawers marked with skull and crossbones that are hidden throughout the museum. They found the answers to fill in on the map and then took it to the shop to claim their treasure (a pirate coin).

We got to see all sorts of interesting items. The real treasure chest complete with secret key hole was very impressive. It is aparently the only surviving pirate treasure chest in the world!

There are lots of interesting exhibits and information about pirates, mythical and real. We saw pirate weapons, treasure, parts of pirate ships, and even an 1850’s original Jolly Roger, one of only two left in the world!

There is a room at the end with some hollywood pirate related memorabilia from films such as The Goonies, Pirates of the Caribbean and Hook.

We visited the pirate museum shop where you can collect your treasure, buy pirate souvenirs and themed museum squashed coins.

Taking a child with an ASD to the St Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum?

The lights are dimmed.

There is a lot to look at. Some exhibits are interactive and you can touch.

There are screens you can play on.

The room you go in with headphones is pitch black and the headphones are noisy. It is very easy to miss this part of the museum.

The cannon “fires” and makes a noise.

There is a small area of torture items and displays which may be scary.

St Augustine Pirate and Treasure Museum is open 10 A.M. TO 7 P.M daily. It is located at 12 S Castillo Drive, St. augustine, Florida.

The price for adults is $13.99 and for children aged 5-12 it is $6.99. Children 4 and under are free. The website for the Pirate and Treasure Museum is: http://www.thepiratemuseum.com

Advertisements

19 Comments Add yours

1. This is really cool! I have a soft spot for pirates lol. And I love the Goonies! I watched that so much as a kid:)

1. Kids on Tour says:

I secretly like pirates too!

Liked by 1 person

2. I would visit this pirate museum with or withour my daughter! It looks so fun and mysterious! I love The Goonies so another reason for me to visit it! Wish though they had something similar in Switzerland because Florida is to far away!😭

Liked by 1 person

3. Ohhhh I love the look of this place! I love pirates, so awesome!

4. Emma McKay says:

This looks like so much fun! What a great spot to take the kids, although I think I would’ve enjoyed it just as much.

5. jmsterb says:

This looks like such a fun little museum! Heck, I’d go by myself without any kids! I’m glad your family enjoyed it.

6. Joline says:

This looks like a lot of fun! I would love to bring my nephew here (but really I want to go because of me haha)

7. alokrana88 says:

This is a cool place to visit. But all these places are so far from my place. These pirates are sneaky one to hide their treasures.

8. kaidigger says:

I love anything related to pirates, cool place and I always wanted to explore Florida as its already on my wishlist

9. Maria Ingrid says:

The museum looks very interesting.. I bet kids and even kids at heart will definitely have a wonderful and enjoyable visit at this place..

10. alisonrost says:

Reading your post brought back such great memories. When my son was little, he was obsessed with all things pirates. He had Lego sets, action figures, dressed up like them for Halloween. The whole thing. I know he’d love this museum. How did it fare in light of Hurricane Irma? x

11. Via Bella says:

Is it bad to say that I would want to be able to do the treasure hunt so I get the coin too? LOL

12. beccajtalbot says:

I love the look of this museum – so fun and educational. It’s great that you have pointed out the potential issues for parents taking children with ASD, too x

13. Chelsea Elizabeth says:

My twin nephe s love Pirates, they’d have so much fun looking around this place. I like how fun it looks but also very educational! Sounds like a great day out

14. London Mumma says:

I love an adventure, my daughter is really into pirates at the moment, if only they had something similar in the uk.

15. Ana Ojha says:

I went to St. Augustine last month and totally loved the cute oldest city of the United States. Though I didn’t visit Pirate museum but went to Light House and enjoyed the other attractions!

16. Aditi says:

I have never been to St. Augustine before, but whenever I get a chance to go I’ll add this pirate museum to my list. It looks so much fun and since I love museums I will have a great there.

17. Kim says:

This looks amazing, I keep telling the other half we have to go to florida, he’s never been to the states, this may just sway him!

18. Yukti says:

I was not knowing that St. Augustine has a great pirate museum. In my children’s school they celebrate pirates day every year which is so much fun. I think visiting this museum must be fun for kids and even adults too. Lovely pictures.